In this topic, we described about the feaures of the Python language.
Python provides many features that supports easy development and maintaining the applications. Python supports object-oriented, procedural and function development approaches to makes the developer job easier while developing applications.
Some of the Python features are specified below –
- Simple - Python is a simple language and it is very thin in the coding prospective. Reading a python program feels like reading the code in English terms. This nature allows us to concentrate on solution rather than the language itself.
- High-level – Python is a high-level programming language as it does not require to managing the memory through programming.
- Readable - Python is a very readable language because of its syntax.
- Easy to Learn - Python is easy to learn and understand as it has simple syntaxes that represents the English.
- Easy to Code – Python language is extremely easy to code and anyone can understand the code easily by reading it. Python is a developer friendly language.
- Cross platform application - Python works on different platforms like Raspberry Pi, Linux, Windows, Mac, etc. This makes python as a portable language and cross platform language.
- Free and Open Source - Python is a FLOSS (Free/Libra and Open Source Software) open source programming language. Means, we can freely circulate this software copies, read its source code, make changes to it and use it new program. This is the reason behind the improving the Python by the community.
- Portable – Python is portable to many platforms due to its open-source nature. All python can work on any platform without any changes to the existing program.
- Large standard library - With a large standard library, python has arrived with certain functions and handy codes. However, we can use them while coding in Python.
- Supports exception handling - Exception is an event and an exception can be raised during the program exception when an error occurred. An exception can disturb the overall flow of program. Python supports exception handling and with that, we can write less mistake prone code and can test several scenarios to reduce the cause of an exception.
- Advanced features - Advanced features of Python supports generators and list commands.
- Automatic memory management - Python supports automatic memory management which means, the memory is cleared and released automatically. We do not have to worry about clearing the memory.
- Interpreted - Python does not require compilation to binary like other languages C, C++. The program directly runs from the source code. Python converts the source code into an intermediate from called bytecodes, translates bytecodes into native language and runs it. This process makes the Python makes much easier and we do not need to worry about compiling program and load libraries etc. We just need to make sure proper libraries are linked and loaded.
- Object-oriented - Python supports procedure-oriented programming and object-oriented programming. Programs built around object the merges data and functionality in object-oriented programming. Python has a easiest way of doing OOP especially when compared to other languages like C++ and Java.
- Extensible - Python is an extensible language to other languages. Python supports using other programming languages like C or C++ code to call python code. This requires when we want to run some critical piece of code extremely fast or some algorithm not to open.
- Embeddable - We can embed Python within C/C++ programs to give 'scripting' capabilities for program's users.
- Extensive Libraries - Python has huge standard Library. It helps to do various things involving regular expressions, documentation generation, unit testing, threading, databases, web browsers, CGI, ftp, email, XML, XML-RPC, HTML, WAV files, cryptography, GUI, Tk, and other system-dependent stuff. This is called the 'Batteries Included' philosophy of Python.
- Support GUI programming - Python supports graphical user interface using a module such as PyQt5, wxPython or Tk. PyQt5 is the most popular tool used for creating graphical apps with Python.
- Dynamic – Python supports the dynamic memory allocation at run-time. We do not need to declare a variable with data type. Python automatically decides the data type based on the type of the data assigned to the variable.
- Database Connectivity – Python provides interfaces to all major commercial databases.