In this topic, we described about the Define Item Categories process along with technical information.
Item categories are defined to provide additional control functions for the sales documents. Item categories meet the demands resulting from different business transactions. An item category specifies how the line item behaves in sales transaction.
SAP uses item category in each sales document to process a material differently. A separate control is defined for each item category. Each item category is relevant to specific area and irrelevant to other areas.
Example - TAN is relevant to billing and irrelevant to other areas.
Below process is to define item categories YTAN – TC Standard Category.
Step-1: Enter the transaction code VOV7 in the SAP command field and click Enter to continue.
Enter the transaction code SPRO in the SAP command field and click Enter to continue.
Click on SAP Reference IMG.
Expand SAP Customizing implementation guide → Sales and Distribution → Sales → Sales Documents → Sales Documents Items → Define Item Categories. Click on Execute.
Step-2: In the next screen, click on New Entries button.
Step-3: Enter the below details and click on Enter.
- Item Category - Enter the four-digit item category and its description.
In Basic data section,
- Billing Relevance - Select the billing relevance from the list
- Pricing - Select the pricing from the list.
- Check Business item, Sched.Line Allowed, Weight/Vol.Relevant, Credit active, Determine cost.
Step-4: Once all the details entered, click on the Save button to save the changes.
Step-5: It prompt for the Change Request. Create/Select the change request and Click on right mark to proceed.
Step-6: Status bar displays the below message once the item categories created successfully.
Technical details: -
- Transaction: VOV7
- Menu Path: SPRO → SAP Reference IMG → SAP Customizing implementation guide → Sales and Distribution → Sales → Sales Documents → Sales Documents Items → Define Item Categories